This Instant Pot Vegan Chunky Stew is simple homestyle comfort food. The Instant Pot makes this dish quick, but the simple hearty ingredients make it a complete meal. This is reminiscent of a traditional beef stew with the chunky texture of potatoes, carrots, and portabella mushrooms simmered in a simple vegetable broth.
Fall is a wonderful time to bring out your electric pressure cooker and whip up a warm hearty dish the whole family can enjoy. This is the perfect main course, but can also be served as a side to be sure everyone at the table gets their veggies in.
Chopping the vegetables will take the most time in this recipe. These simple but hearty ingredients will satisfy. I suggest chopping the veggies in large chunks. If you don’t have time to prepare then just put everything in an airtight container to prepare later.
Instant Pot Vegan Chunky Stew
- Instant Pot
- 1 TBSP Olive Oil extra virgin
- 2 Medium Onions, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 4 Medium Carrots, cut in 1 inch chunks
- 2 Large Celery stalks, cut in 1 inch chunks
- 1 Package Portabella Mushrooms, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 4 gloves Garlic, minced
- 4 Medium Potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/4 Cup Tomato Paste
- 1 TBSP Italian Herb Blend, dried
- 1 tsp Rosemary, dried or fresh
- 1 Large Bay Leaf
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper, fresh ground
- 2 Cups Vegetable Broth, low sodium preferred
- 2 Cups Water
- 1 tsp Paprika, ground
- 1 Bag Peas, frozen
- Turn on Instant Pot to saute function, normal heat
- Add olive oil and once hot add onions, saute for 5 minutes
- Add carrots, celery, mushrooms and garlic, saute for another 3 minutes
- Add salt, pepper, spices and give a good stir, then add liquid and deglaze
- Add tomato paste, stir and set Instant Pot for 8 minutes on high pressure, with 5 minute natural release
- Add frozen peas, cover pot and let set until ready to eat and garnish with fresh parsley.