Some smoothies are just a thick drink, but my smoothies are a meal – a “superfood”. A true superfood smoothie provides energy and vitality, even hours after drinking it. My Choco-Nut superfood smoothie is no exception to that quality and one that is sure to be a family favorite.
This Choco-Nut is a real treat, super simple to make, and fills me up for several hours. It truly is a meal in a glass. The flaxseeds and hemp hearts are the sources of superfoods in this delicious treat.
Hemp hearts are the shelled hemp seeds that provide a large dose of plant-based protein (about 10 grams per serving) and essential omega oils.
Choco-Nut Superfood Smoothie
- 1 cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 1 tbsp Flaxseed ground
- 1 tbsp Hemp Hearts
- 2 tsp Organic Cocoa Powder
- 1 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1 medium Frozen Banana
- 2 tbsp Organic Peanut Butter
- 4 cubes Ice cubes for a thicker smoothie
- Use a powerful blender (i.e. Vitamix) to blend all ingredients together
- Blend the first 5 ingredients for 30 seconds
- Add the frozen banana and nut/seed butter and blend for 1 minute
- Let sit for 1 minute, then add ice and blend for 30 seconds or until blended.
- Serve smoothie cold and sprinkle with a little cocoa powder. Reminder to rinse and clean blender pitcher immediately.
- Substitute almond milk with any nut or seed milk (even oat milk).
- I use Amazing Grass brand vegan protein powders.
- Try a different nut or seed butter, like almond or tahini.
- I use this brand of hemp hearts.
- This will store in an airtight container (like a mason jar or stainless steel bottle) for several hours.
- Double the recipe to share with your family.
- Check out my quick tips on how to make a superfood smoothie in 5 minutes or less.
I suggest you try this for breakfast or drink it when those afternoon cravings hit (that is about 2:30 pm if you are like me). Here are some more superfood smoothie ideas for you to try.
Please comment below and let me know what you think.