Apple Cranberry Sauce made in the Instant Pot is both delicious and quick. Truth be told, I have never been a fan of traditional (especially canned) cranberry sauce (or “red sludge” as I called it as a kid). However, with the addition of apple, some simple spices, and the use of an Instant Pot, this has changed my opinion forever. Now, I love this vegan cranberry sauce with my Thanksgiving or Christmas meal!
Apple & Cinnamon Spice
One of the things I like best about this cranberry sauce is that the Instant Pot cooks the berries perfectly so that you can mash the sauce to be as chunky or smooth as you prefer. In my opinion, no kitchen tool cooks perfectly without much effort than a pressure cooker.
Also, as long as you have a bag of cranberries and basic ingredients most already have in their pantry, this will be quick and easy and knock your socks off! The only addition to your spice collection I would suggest is this Ceylon Cinnamon for optimal flavor and health benefits. Ceylon cinnamon is different than just plain cinnamon in that it is the most unprocessed cinnamon that may provide digestive, cardiovascular and blood sugar health benefits.
The addition of an apple (or two) will balance out the natural tart flavor of cranberries. Honeycrisp apples are my favorite naturally sweet apple variety, but really any apple will do. The apple flavor is subtle but well balanced by adding some apple cider vinegar as well.
The natural sweetness of the apple will also decrease the amount of sweetener you want to add; for those of you watching your sugars. One way I try to reduce the glycemic sugary load of this dish to balance it out by adding organic maple syrup with this organic coconut palm sugar from Gourmazia.
Apple Cranberry Sauce
Apple Cranberry Sauce Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
- 1 12 ounce bag Cranberries, whole and fresh
- 1 Large Apple, honeycrisp (or two small), chopped
- 1 Cup Organic Orange Juice, unsweetend or fresh
- 2 tsp Ceylon Cinnamon Spice (or stick)
- 1 tsp Apple Cider Vingegar
- 1/4 Cup Maple Syrup
- 1/4 Cup Coconut Palm Sugar (or regular sugar)
- 1 Dash Sea Salt
- Add all ingredients to the Instant Pot pressure cooker and give a stir
- Turn to seal and set Instatnt Pot to "Normal" pressure 4 minutes
- Do a Natural Release for 10 minutes
- Carefully open the lid and let steam escape a few minute before using a potato masher to mash cranberries to desired consistency.
- If the sauce is too thin, turn on the saute function (to "low") and saute for 3-4 minutes, and add more sweet or spices as desire (just don't burn your tongue).
The next time you are looking for a sweet-tart addition to any meal (not just for Thanksgiving or traditional holiday) give this simple recipe a try. It is also good as a side to these vegan gluten-free Pumpkin Pancakes.